- 16th April 2018
- Posted by: criticalfuture83
In 2017 social media has become the crucial part of digital communications strategies. Social media delivers measurable results in sales, leads, and branding. It also enables to reach a large number of people at a low cost. The world of social media networks is dynamic and in constant change. So check out the important numbers behind it.
Buckle up for 21 latest social media marketing statistics! Did you know that less than 25% of Twitter accounts are active? They will help you improve your marketing, convince your co-workers, and clients!
Social Media Marketing Statistics in General
Social media just keeps growing and growing. Facebook is reaching 2 billion monthly active users very soon. And most other social networking sites and apps are at the top of their all-time high user numbers.
1. Online adults aged 18-34 are most likely follow a brand via social networking (95%).(Source: MarketingSherpa) Think about your audience and see where they are most likely to follow your brand.
2. 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others. (Source: Ambassador) Use social media as an effective customer service tool to increase brand engagement and win new customers.
3. There are 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally with 1 million new active mobile social users added every day. (Source: We Are Social) Make sure to optimize your mobile social media campaigns and since mobile ads are relatively cheap and easy to produce, test multiple versions to see what works the best.
4. 96% of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those brands’ owned profiles. (Source: Brandwatch) Companies need to go beyond their own channels and monitor those unbranded conversations in order to gain valuable insights and manage brand health.
5. Visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content. (Source: HubSpot) Flying Point Digital has a great post on how to create an innovative content strategy on social media.
6. In 2015 Facebook influenced 52 per cent of consumers’ online and offline purchases, up from 36 per cent in 2014. (Source: The Drum) This shows the importance for retailers to manage their social media channels which will have a direct impact on purchase behaviour.
7. There are 40 million active small business pages in Facebook and 4 million of those businesses pay for social media advertising on Facebook. (Source: Forbes) The social media advertising statistics show that small-sized companies should consider paying for Facebook ads in order to gain visibility and surpass competitors relatively easily.
8. There were over 4.4 million videos uploaded directly to Facebook in February 2016, generating over 199 billion views. (Source: ReelSEO) Video marketing is a powerful tool that personalizes your brand and increases conversions.
9. Only 20% of Facebook posts generate an emotional response while no ads did. (Source:AdEspresso) Instead of using Facebook as an emotional medium, delivering dynamic and tailored messaging to people in specific stages of at key times can yield much better results.
10. The best time to post on Facebook is 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Other optimal times include 12:00–1:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays and 1:00–4:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays. (Source: HubSpot) Try using tools like Buffer or Timely to auto schedule your posts.
11. Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets. (Source: HubSpot) Link clicks are the your easiest and strongest chance of gaining views and shares for your content.
12. 78% of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour. (Source:Lithium) Customers are turning to social media outlets to unleash their frustration or questions. Make sure you are actively engaged on your social networks.
13. There is a total of 1.3 billion accounts, but only 320 million are active. (Source: Business Insider) According to Content Marketing Institute predictions for 2016, as Twitter’s sign-up growth has slowed down, it will boost its stock price by making ads more prominent, so be ready to start paying for visibility.
Twitter has a serious competitor now. Reddit has occasionally passed Twitter as the number 3 social networking site in the Top 10 Social Networking Sites by Market Share of Visits. This has also left a mark on Twitter’s stock price that has been moving steadily downwards during the last year or so.
14. Latest study by Locowise found that adding hashtags had no effect on engagement rates. In fact, tweets without hashtags outperformed tweets with hashtags. (Source: Adweek)Therefore, it is better to focus on the quality of your original content instead of overly relying on hashtags for increasing engagement.
15. Top brands on Instagram are seeing a per-follower engagement rate of 4.21% which is 58 times higher than on Facebook and 120 times higher than on Twitter (Source: Hootsuite)Instagram has become a powerful platform for marketers and its potential cannot be overlooked any longer.
16. Media brands are the most active whereas business services, financial services, and fast moving consumer goods have the lowest percentage of brands represented on Instagram. (Source: Simply Measured) Also, the increase in business activity on Instagram the brand posting frequency is becoming more normalized and standardised to highlight the increase in a more measurable approach.
17. 90% of Instagram users are younger than 35 (Source: ScienceDaily) Instagram has become the social media network for targeting millennials.
18. Products were the top content types for the top 200 global brands in terms of engagement, at 60% in 2015 beating lifestyle category by over 20%. (Source: Hootsuite) This is great news for marketers since people who follow brands on Instagram are aware and accept the fact that they’re going to be exposed to products.
19. Posts tagged with another user (56%) or location (79%) have significantly higher engagement rates (Source: Simply Measured) So don’t forget to add ‘with whom’ and ‘where’ to your Instagram posts.
20. In 2015 YouTube posted the figure of 40 billion all-time views for branded content. (Source:ReelSEO) That means video marketing has gone from nice-to-have to must-have, one that will set the pace for the foreseeable future.
21. More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices and the average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes. (Source:YouTube) As mobile captures consumers’ full attention, at home or on the go, brands now have the opportunity to reach people anywhere.